Pregnancy is such a magical thing. We go nine months dreaming and preparing for the perfect labor and delivery, analyzing every little moment. There are tons of fears and concerns for different people going into labor. Will it hurt? Will I tear? Will I poop? (that’s a whole other topic that we will discuss, but shit happens). One of the biggest concerns parents have going into their big day is, “What if I need a c-section?”. This concern is totally valid. A cesarean is major surgery and usually over with fairly fast. There are many medical reasons for needing a c-section, but the big question is, Can they be avoided? The answer is, YES! A c-section can be avoided, in most cases. However, in the event of a true emergency, sometimes its needed for the health and safety of the birthing person and baby. Please note that if you do end up needing a c-section… that is okay! You are still a bad ass and you are no less than anyone who has had a vaginal birth. We are all AMAZING.
ANYWAYS, HERE ARE MY TOP THINGS YOU CAN DO TO AVOID A C-SECTION:
1. STAY EDUCATED. Its so important to be educated on your rights during labor. Informed consent is real and you can say NO to anything you do not want. Staying educated will let you know what interventions are actually medically necessary for you or your baby.
2. CHOOSE YOUR PROVIDER CAREFULLY. There are some providers/birthing places that are cut happy and love to revert to a c-section no matter what. If you are birthing in a hospital, check their c-section rates.
3. LABOR AT HOME AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. If the birthing person and baby are healthy and there are no further complications, laboring at home as long as possible can hinder any possible interventions that can lead to a c-section. Examples: Pitocin, AROM(breaking of waters).
4. AVOID INDUCTION. Although there are multiple factors to this, avoiding an induction will minimize the number of interventions needed.
5. HIRE A DOULA. Hiring a professional to educate and help you advocate for yourself can give you some of the best outcomes for your birth.
In hindsight, we can do everything under the sun to avoid a c-section, but sometimes baby has other plans. It’s important to remember that a healthy baby is really the goal and there is no shame in which way you birth!
Written by: Natalie Story
Become an Uptown Doula Insider
Become an Uptown Doula Insider
Get advice, tips and updates directly to your inbox by becoming a subscriber!
We respect your privacy.
Get Social with @UptownDoula | #UptownDoula
Follow us for all of the latest news and updates to your newsfeed. Then join the conversation by tagging us!
Uptown Doula is Charlotte's first choice in birth support & postpartum care.
Our team of professional doulas in Charlotte, NC provides families with evidence-based birth support, postpartum & newborn care, infant feeding support, childbirth education, placenta encapsulation, and more.
We support new and expectant parents in and around Charlotte, NC, including Denver, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Pineville.
Birth Doula Support | Postpartum Doula & Newborn Care | Placenta Encapsulation | Sleep Training | Daddy Doula | Childbirth Education | Family Support Education